Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Good-bye for now

It's so odd to know that I'll be back in the U.S. soon. I've already grown accustomed to life in Taipei and now the tables seem to have turned, with the U.S. playing the role of the foreign country. Granted, I'll fall back into my own rhythm when I return, but it's so hard not to think of life with the Taiwan paradigm that my mind has created over the months. I won't be able to wake up and grab breakfast from a street vendor on my way to class. I won't have Chinese classes anymore (!). I won't see the friends that I've grown to cherish. I'll especially miss my "children", a great bunch of ICLP'ers that I've taken under my wing because I think my maternal instincts have kicked in and I feel like mothering everyone. I've never had this feeling of not really wanting to return to my home country until this summer's trip. Already trying to plan my next trip back. Until then, I'll be doing my darnest to keep up the Mandarin I learned this summer.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

狐狸糊涂的女生,

我也回美国来,过了一个多月,好像什么汉语都忘了!只能记得一个成语:望子成龙。意味着父母希望孩子会成功。你已经开始上学马?